New Zealand thump hapless Scotland

New Zealand thump hapless Scotland
By Eurosport

14/11/2010 at 06:10Updated 14/11/2010 at 06:47

An utterly dominant New Zealand team ran in seven tries as they eased to a record 49-3 win over Scotland at Murrayfield.

Hosea Gear touched down twice in the first half and Mils Muliaina matched him with a try either side of the interval while Conrad Smith and Andy Ellis crossed over in the second half for a try apiece.

Dan Carter also scored a try before the interval and added 10 points with the boot before Stephen Donald came on to slot home the final two conversions.

But it was rugby league convert Sonny Bill Williams, making just his second start for the team, who starred for New Zealand, playing an integral part in a handful of the tries and looking threatening every time he received the ball.

There was little for Scotland to be cheerful about in an abject performance and with Max Evans being stretchered off after the final whistle, in a neck brace and receiving oxygen, the hosts look in danger of losing their best player for the rest of the series.

Hopes that Scotland might at least match New Zealand in the early stages were raised when Dan Parks kicked the first points of the game.

But New Zealand quickly hit back and once the onslaught started on the 10 minute mark, the floodgates were opened with the tourists scoring the equivalent of a point a minute with four converted tries in the first 28 minutes.

Jimmy Cowan found Williams to set up the first with the Canterbury Crusaders man producing one of his trademark one-handed off-loads for Hosea Gear to run home unchallenged.

Carter quickly added the conversion before touching down himself immediately after the re-start; Isaia Toeava did well to keep the ball in play under a Hugo Southwell tackle with Carter collecting the pass and jogging home to score under the posts.

Southwell and Max Evans looked the most dangerous of the home players and briefly threatened to cause New Zealand some problems down the centre of the park.

But when Carter found Muliaina in acres of space in the 19th minute, the match was as good as over with the All Blacks full-back enjoying a free run over the line, before the fly-half added yet another conversion.

The match was in danger of turning into a training session for New Zealand as Gear produced a brilliant solo try just before the half-hour mark, cutting a swathe through the Scotland defence and jinking past Ross Ford, Southwell and Mike Blair before diving over the line for his second of the day.

Things got even worse for the hosts just before the interval, with New Zealand leading 28-3, as captain Blair could barely stand as he went off after a nasty knock on the head.

Ten minutes after the re-start and the All Blacks had their fifth try, Williams again doing the damage by drawing last-defender Southwell infield before feeding Muliaina on the sideline.

Carter had just enough time to add the conversion before being replaced by Waikato Chief's Stephen Donald, while Richie McCaw and Jimmy Cowan were taken off shorter thereafter in a move that threatened the fluidity of the game.

But New Zealand retained their momentum and with just over 10 minutes remaining Williams set up his third try of the day by finding Smith on the left wing.

Replacement fly-half Ruaridh Jackson injected some much needed pace for Scotland but, with only 10 minutes left on the clock, even he couldn't prevent Andy Ellis crossing over in the dying moments before Donald added insult to injury with another conversion.

Referee Dave Pearson put Scotland out of their misery with 90 seconds remaining and the medical team still working on Evans on the touchline as New Zealand celebrated their second win in the UK in as many weeks.