Sachsenring set to keep MotoGP spot after all
MotoGP's German Grand Prix is set to remain at the Sachsenring in 2019 despite fears it would be replaced next season, Autosport has learned.
Leading MotoGP riders were dismayed by reports the track was poised to lose its slot on the calendar owing to long-standing financial woes.
German federation ADAC cancelled its agreement with Sachsenring Rennstrecken-Management (SRM) in May, and it was announced earlier this month that it would be "intensifying discussions" with alternative venues such as the Nurburgring and Hockenheim.
ADAC has an agreement with MotoGP promoter Dorna to host a race in Germany until the end of 2021, but Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta is a long-standing proponent of keeping the race at the Sachsenring, which has held the German GP continuously since 1998.
Ezpeleta is believed to have told riders in Friday's safety commission meeting that the track is all but certain to keep its place on the calendar.
One inside source told Autosport: "The race will take place here in 2019, 99%".
Last weekend's event attracted a weekend attendance of 193,000 fans, including 89,000 on Sunday - a significant increase on the loss-making 2017 event but still some way short of the Sachsenring's record attendance.
Negotiations between ADAC and SRM are expected to resume soon, and it is believed that a new sponsor is ready step in to back the German GP from 2019 if it remains at the Sachsenring.
The track also has the support of the local government.
Michael Kretschmer, minister president for the region of Saxony, attended Sunday's race to hold talks with the concerned parties.