Getty Images

Football news - Juventus back Cristiano Ronaldo after rape allegation

Juventus back Ronaldo after rape allegation
By Eurosport

11/10/2018 at 16:28Updated 11/10/2018 at 17:28

Juventus have praised "great champion" Cristiano Ronaldo as they made an impassioned defence of their star forward.

Ronaldo is being sued by Kathryn Mayorga, who claims the Portuguese raped her at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009, according to a complaint filed by her lawyer.

The 33-year-old strongly denies the allegations.

"Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus," Juventus wrote on Twitter.

"The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion."

The US sportswear giants added they were continuing to monitor the situation.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano RonaldoGetty Images

Ronaldo rejected the claims on Wednesday, saying he had a "clear conscience".

"I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in," Ronaldo said on Twitter.

"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.

"My clear conscience will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations."

Mayorga sued Ronaldo in a district court in Clark County, Nevada last Thursday, and is also seeking to void a $375,000 (£333,000) settlement she alleges she was coerced into signing to keep quiet, according to the complaint seen by Reuters and according to Mayorga's lawyer.

The lawsuit contends that Ronaldo met Mayorga at a Las Vegas nightclub in June 2009 and the next night invited a group of people, including Mayorga, back to the penthouse suite where he was staying.

That night, the lawsuit alleges, Ronaldo asked the woman to perform a sexual act on him in a bathroom as she was changing into attire to wear in a hot tub. He then pulled her into a bedroom and raped her as she screamed "no, no, no," the lawsuit said.

"When Cristiano Ronaldo completed the sexual assault of the plaintiff, he allowed her to leave the bedroom stating he was sorry, he was usually a gentleman," the lawsuit said.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police on Monday said an incident report with the number listed in Mayorga's lawsuit was filed on the night of the alleged attack, and said the case was reopened last month after the unidentified victim came forward with new information. They declined to say whether the athlete was the subject of an investigation.

Video - Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad again

00:25

With additional reporting from Reuters

Comments are deactivated for this publication