PA Sport

Plymouth hit back to extend lead at the top, Northampton up to second

Plymouth hit back to extend lead at the top, Northampton up to second
By PA Sport

29/12/2015 at 04:24Updated 29/12/2015 at 04:44

Round-up: Plymouth came from behind to defeat Newport 2-1 and extend their lead at the top of the League Two table.

The Pilgrims were trailing at half-time in South Wales when Scott Boden gave the struggling Exiles the lead. However, Jake Jervis levelled after the break and Ryan Brunt, who scored the winner against Yeovil on Boxing Day, earned the visitors the spoils.

The Glovers helped Derek Adams' side out further by holding Oxford to a 0-0 draw, meaning Northampton moved up to second, three points behind Plymouth, following a 1-0 success over Accrington.

Marc Richards grabbed the only goal of the game - his 14th of the season - after the hour mark.

Paul Cook's Portsmouth were unable to close the gap on the top three heading into 2016 as they drew 0-0 against Luton at Fratton Park, while fellow promotion-chasing outfits Wycombe and Bristol Rovers both won.

The Chairboys went ahead of the Pirates on goal difference following a 2-0 home triumph over Crawley courtesy of efforts in either half from Max Kretzschmar and Sam Wood.

Bristol Rovers did complete an unbeaten December, though, as Rory Gaffney struck a double either side of Jay Simpson's strike in their 2-1 triumph over Leyton Orient.

At the other end of the table Dagenham moved off the foot with just their third victory of the season at Stevenage, whom they defeated 3-1.

Ashley Chambers and Joss Labadie scored within 90 seconds of each other in the first half and, although Fraser Franks pulled one back, Christian Doidge made sure of the points for the visitors with a third.

The Daggers are level on points with York, who led at Mansfield through Dave Winfield only for Krystian Pearce to reply in a 1-1 draw.

Elsewhere, first-half goals from Tom Elliott and Lyle Taylor gave AFC Wimbledon a 2-0 victory over Exeter, while Luke Berry and Barry Corr found the net in quick succession after John Akinde had put Barnet ahead in Cambridge's 2-1 success.

Morecambe had led 2-0 at Notts County through Shaun Miller and Kevin Ellison, yet Izale McLeod's brace made it 2-2 and meant Jim Bentley's men only returned home with a share of the spoils.