PA Photos

Round-up: Brighton stretch lead at the top

Round-up: Brighton stretch lead at the top
By Eurosport

24/10/2010 at 02:50Updated 24/10/2010 at 05:32

Brighton extended their lead at the top of the League One table with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Yeovil at the Withdean Stadium.

Goals from Glenn Murray and Inigo Calderon either side of half-time gave the Seagulls all three points as Yeovil failed to compete with the hosts.

Gus Poyet's side opened up a six-point lead at the top of the table courtesy of Bournemouth being held 1-1 against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

Ryan Garry opened the scoring for the second-placed Cherries, but Neil Mellor's strike eight minutes from time grabbed a point for Wednesday, who stay fourth.

Charlton moved up to 11th following a thrilling 4-3 win against Carlisle at Brunton Park with a last-minute second from Paul Benson snatching all three points.

In a similarly tense second half, Rochdale edged out bottom-placed Dagenham and Redbridge at the Spotland Stadium with Gary Jones's effort proving decisive in a 3-2 win.

Peterborough slipped to third after a 2-1 defeat at Brentford, and goals from Gary Alexander and Craig Woodman were enough to see their side climb to 19th.

Plymouth claimed a 2-1 victory over Huddersfield at Home Park thanks to a brace from Bradley Wright-Phillips in a result which sees the visitors remain in fifth spot.

MK Dons moved up to seventh with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Exeter with Aaron Wilbraham on target for Karl Robinson's side.

A brace from Kayode Odejayi gave Colchester United a 2-1 victory over Notts County, with Craig Westcarr's strike not enough for the visitors.

Southampton also took a step in the right direction after a 2-1 win over Oldham at St Mary's as Alex Chamberlain and Jose Fonte got themselves on the scoresheet.

Tranmere produced a terrific display of attacking football to thump Walsall 4-1 at the Banks Stadium to leapfrog their hosts, who slumped to 23rd place.

Swindon shared a 2-2 draw with Leyton Orient at the County Ground, while Bristol Rovers roared back to share the same result with Hartlepool at Victoria Park with two goals in the final five minutes.