Aaron Ramsey winner downs 10-man Chelsea in FA Cup final
Wembley Stadium, FA Cup Final - Chelsea 1 (Costa 76') Arsenal 2 (Sanchez 5' Ramsey 79')
A winner from Aaron Ramsey, minutes after Chelsea had drawn level, saw Arsenal lift the FA Cup for the third time in four years.
Arsenal's Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez celebrates with teammates after scoring the opening goal of the English FA Cup final football match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Wembley stadium in London on May 27, 2017.Getty Images
With Chelsea on the back foot, Arsenal allowed them back into the game when Costa's deflected shot beat Ospina, but then went back ahead through Ramsey almost instantly.
Arsene Wenger had to win today to have a hope of winning around the frustrated Arsenal fans - will this be another FA Cup victory to keep him in a job?
Should Alexis Sanchez's goal have stood? It is questionable whether Aaron Ramsey interfered with player given just how close he got to the ball before Sanchez shot, but it seemed clearer still that Sanchez handled the ball in the build up. Chelsea will feel aggrieved that Sanchez was allowed to charge down the ball before his shot.
Alexis Sanchez scoresGetty Images
MAN OF THE MATCH
Mesut Ozil (Arsenal): After such a poor season where he went missing, Ozil linked up well with Sanchez and Welbeck in attack, and kept Chelsea almost constantly on the back foot. Arsenal need their best players to be at their best to succeed - Sanchez was brilliant, as was Per Mertesacker - and that so rarely happens consistently.
Arsenal's German midfielder Mesut Ozil runs with the ball during the English FA Cup final football match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Wembley stadium in London on May 27, 2017.Getty Images
5' - GOAL! Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea. Sanchez scores - Sanchez loops a ball into the box, and Ramsey is there, hanging around in an offside position. Sanchez steals ahead before Ramsey touches it and dinks it past Courtois. The linesman puts his flag up, but after discussion with the referee, the goal is awarded.
16' - CAHILL CLEARANCE - Sanchez plays in Ozil. He takes a heavy touch, squeezes it over Courtois. It's dribbling towards the goal, and Cahill rushes in to clear off the line.
18' - WELBECK HEADER - Alonso puts the ball behind for a corner. Ozil swings it in, Welbeck glances it to the back post, and it rattles off the base.
68' - RED CARD! Moses takes a dive, and having been already booked earlier, goes off. It wasn't an obvious dive, but Anthony Taylor gets it right.
76' - GOAL! Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea. Costa scores - Willian flicks a ball into the box, Costa chests it down brilliantly and hooks in a shot past Ospina.
Arsenal's Colombian goalkeeper David Ospina (L) makes a save from Chelsea's Brazilian-born Spanish striker Diego Costa during the English FA Cup final football match between Arsenal and Chelsea at Wembley stadium in London on May 27, 2017Getty Images
79' - GOAL! Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea. Ramsey scores - GIroud runs onto a ball down the left, and clips in a first-time cross, and Ramsey is on hand to nod it past Courtois.
- Arsenal have won their 13th FA Cup, more than any other side.
- Arsene Wenger has won the FA Cup seven times, more than any other manager in history.
- The Gunners have lifted the trophy in each of their last six FA Cup final appearances.
- Arsenal have beaten Chelsea twice in a season (in all competitions) for the first time since 2003/04.
- This was just Chelsea’s third defeat against Arsenal in their last 14 clashes in all competitions, but the second of those to come at Wembley (also in the 2015/16 Community Shield).
- Per Mertesacker started his first game for Arsenal since April 30th 2016 (v Norwich), 392 days ago.
Per Mertesacker lifts the FA CupGetty Images
- At 3 minutes 49 seconds, Alexis Sanchez’s opening goal was Arsenal’s fastest ever in an FA Cup final.
- Alexis Sanchez has scored in five successive games for Arsenal in all comps for the first time ever.
- Alexis Sanchez has been directly involved in 45 goals in 51 appearances for Arsenal this season (30 goals, 15 assists).
- Victor Moses is the fifth player to be sent off in an FA Cup final (Smalling 2016, Zabaleta 2013, Reyes 2005, Moran 1985).
- Diego Costa netted his 22nd goal of the season for Chelsea in all competitions, his best-ever return in a single campaign for the Blues.
- Aaron Ramsey has scored two goals in his last three FA Cup final appearances, with both of them winners (also v Hull in 2014).
- Olivier Giroud has had a hand in four goals in his last four games for Arsenal in all competitions (3 goals, 1 assist).