PA Sport

Blades leave it late in FA Cup thriller

Blades leave it late in FA Cup thriller
By Eurosport

04/12/2011 at 04:20Updated 04/12/2011 at 04:51

Ched Evans fired a brace as Sheffield United produced a second-half comeback to beat Torquay 3-2 in the FA Cup second round.

Rene Howe gave the Gulls a third-minute lead before a Mark Ellis own goal and an Evans' double sealed the game despite a late consolation from Danny Stevens.

After an emotional minute's applause for former Blades player and manager Gary Speed, Martin Ling's men raced ahead. Kevin Nicholson's searching free-kick was flicked on by Lee Mansell and top-scorer Howe smashed the ball past Steve Simonsen at his near post.

The Blades almost levelled the tie on 25 minutes but Evans' free-kick was spectacularly turned over by Bobby Olejnik. In-form Welsh striker Evans rattled the right-hand upright seven minutes after the restart before the comeback began.

Centre-half Ellis sliced Matthew Lowton's low left-footed cross into his own net on 68 minutes before Evans lashed home from the edge of the area following a strong run.

Evans slotted in to seal the win 12 minutes from time following Olejnik's poor clearance before Stevens powered home at the death.

Elsewhere, Michael Morrison and Jason Euell struck second-half goals to book Charlton a place in the third round at the expense of league rivals Carlisle.

Ryan Lowe's second-half goal sent Sheffield Wednesday into the third round as they beat Aldershot 1-0. Lowe finished with ease after being put through on goal by Chris O'Grady on 50 minutes.

FA Cup second-round proper results

Salisbury City 0-0 Grimsby Town

Stourbridge 0-3 Stevenageall ticket

Sheffield United 3-2 Torquay United

Colchester United 0-1Swindon Town

Chelmsford City 1-1 Macclesfield Town

Leyton Orient 0-1 Gillingham

Crawley Town 5-0 Redbridge

Luton Town 2-4 Cheltenham Town

Brentford 0-1 Wrexham

Bradford City 3-1 AFC Wimbledon

Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Rotherham United

Dagenham & Redbridge 1-1 Walsall

Barnet 1-3 Milton Keynes Dons

Gateshead 1-2 Tamworth

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Aldershot Town

Southend United 1-1 Oldham Athletic

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Carlisle United

Glossop North End 1-2 Runcorn Town

Newcastle Benfield 3-1 Deeping Rangers