PA Photos

Palace go top, Leeds humbled

Palace go top, Leeds humbled
By Eurosport

11/11/2012 at 04:48

Round-up: Ian Holloway's Crystal Palace went top of the Championship with a 2-1 win over Peterborough, while Leeds were humiliated 6-1 at home to Watford.

Crystal Palace came from behind to extend their unbeaten run to 13 Championship matches with a 2-1 victory at Peterborough that saw the Eagles return to the top of the table.

Ian Holloway, in his first away game as Palace boss, saw his team fall behind after just six minutes to a Grant McCann strike. An inspired display from Posh goalkeeper Robert Olejnik looked like it might be enough to see the hosts hang on to that lead but Palace eventually made a breakthrough and won it with two late goals from Andre Moritz and Kagisho Dikgacoi.

Cardiff recorded their eighth successive home win this season with a 2-1 victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Hull. Heidar Helguson's third-minute header looked set to be the only goal until captain Mark Hudson threw himself at Aron Gunnarsson's cross with eight minutes to go. Robert Koren's goal in the 90th minute made the home side sweat in the closing seconds but they held on to maintain their 100 per cent record at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Simon Church played a big part in Barnsley's downfall after turning down a loan move to Oakwell in favour of Huddersfield this week as Jermaine Beckford's first-half header was enough for a 1-0 derby win. Reading striker Church, who opted for a loan move to Huddersfield instead of Barnsley on Friday, laid on the winner for Beckford, who headed home the Wales international's pinpoint cross in the 36th minute. Huddersfield climbed back into the top six with a fourth away win in the Championship this season, while a fourth straight defeat for Barnsley leaves them two points above the drop zone.

Henning Berg is still waiting for his first win as Blackburn boss as his home debut ended 1-1 after an enthralling encounter against Birmingham. Spaniard Ruben Rochina handed Rovers a deserved early lead from the penalty spot after David Murphy felled Mauro Formica but, crucially, Birmingham pulled level almost immediately courtesy of Marlon King's ninth goal of the season from close range. Both sides could indeed have clinched all three points but it was not to be, with Birmingham now 19 attempts without victory at Ewood Park stretching back to 1968.

Roger Johnson scored a dramatic late equaliser for Wolves to deny Brighton in a six-goal thriller which saw the hosts play with 10 men for the entire second half. Bakary Sako opened the scoring for Stale Solbakken's men when he fired the ball past Tomasz Kuszczak after some superb build-up play. Craig Mackail-Smith pulled Brighton level after 43 minutes, before Karl Henry was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Liam Bridcutt on the stroke of half-time. Wolves were back in front against the run of play in the 61st minute with a 25-yard strike from substitute Tongo Doumbia, but a 12-yard drive from Will Buckley levelled things again. Brighton took the lead for the first time with a Stephen Dobbie penalty in the 89th minute, but Johnson had the final say when he headed the ball in from a Sako free-kick just a minute later.

Andy Keogh celebrated his return to the Millwall starting line-up with the goal which sank Derby in a 2-1 victory. The Ireland striker only started due to an injury to Lions top scorer Darius Henderson, but he made his mark by grabbing the winner with 14 minutes to go. Derby rookie Will Hughes, who earned a call-up to the England Under-21 squad this week, had earlier cancelled out a controversial opener from Liam Feeney.

Watford's army of loan rangers combined to deliver a fourth away win of the season as they ran riot in a 6-1 win at Elland Road on what proved to be another depressing afternoon for Leeds. The caveat to this win was that the goals they scored from Matej Vydra, Almen Abdi, Mark Yeates, Sean Murray and Troy Deeney all came after Leeds had been reduced to nine men, but prior to that they had still looked the better side, having gone ahead through Vydra. Leeds did score a penalty through Michael Tonge but having lost Jason Pearce to a first-half red card and Rodolph Austin to injury after all their substitutions had been made, were made to suffer for the best part of an hour. Now without a league win in six, they and manager Neil Warnock remain at the mercy of the takeover of the club by GFH Capital which is close to entering its seventh month. With an already-thin squad at his disposal, Warnock cut a forlorn figure throughout.

DJ Campbell lifted Ipswich off the foot of the Championship table as his late goal secured a 2-1 win over Burnley. Daryl Murphy had given the Tractor Boys the lead only for Sam Vokes to equalise before Campbell secured all three points with just three minutes remaining. The result gives Mick McCarthy two wins from three since taking the manager's job at Portman Road while Sean Dyche suffered his first defeat as Burnley boss.

Nathan Delfouneso struck late to deny Bolton in a 2-2 draw which ensured Michael Appleton avoided defeat in his first game as Blackpool manager. Mark Davies put the visitors ahead but it was all square after 19 minutes when Blackpool's England Under-21 international winger Tom Ince superbly scored his third goal in as many matches.