Judd reported as Roos hop into top eight

Judd reported as Roos hop into top eight
By Eurosport

13/07/2012 at 23:00Updated 14/07/2012 at 00:13

Carlton skipper Chris Judd faces possible suspension after being reported for a "chicken wing" tackle during the Blues' dismal 53-point AFL loss to North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

North's Leigh Adams needed attention for a shoulder injury after Judd, standing over him, pulled upwards on his arm while the Kangaroos forward was pinned face-down in a tackle by another Blues player.

The move bore striking similarity to rugby league's outlawed "chicken wing" tackle.

Judd was reported for the second quarter incident, following which Adams was off the ground for several minutes and North players remonstrated angrily with the Carlton midfielder.

But Adams returned after treatment to play on as North won emphatically 24.5 (149) to 14.12 (96) to climb into the top eight.

Adams said dual Brownlow Medallist Judd had sought him out after the match to check on his shoulder and believed the Carlton skipper was not the sort of person to deliberately hurt another player.

But Adams said he had little idea what happened in the tackle, which is set to be heavily scrutinised until the match review panel convenes on Monday to decide Judd's fate.

"I didn't really see it. I was on the bottom of the pack ... I have no idea what happened," Adams told Melbourne radio station Triple M immediately after the match.

"It wasn't the greatest feeling going around ... (but) I'm sure what he did he didn't mean it."

Judd was otherwise exceptional in a three-goal, 36 disposal performance.

But his lone hand was unable to counter North forward Drew Petrie's seven-goal haul as the Kangaroos ran riot to heap more pressure on the Blues, who remain outside the top eight.

Petrie was unstoppable in a radar-like goalkicking effort from North, though he was substituted at three-quarter-time with groin soreness.

He booted four goals in the first quarter, another in the second to have five by halftime, then two more as the Kangaroos went on a third quarter rampage to leave the Blues' season on a precipice.

Carlton were in trouble before the first bounce with defender Zach Tuohy breaking down in the warm-up with a back injury.

Then forward Andrew Walker injured his leg in the opening quarter and had to be substituted.

Midfielder Aaron Joseph then was forced out of the game with concussion following a second quarter high hit from North onballer Jack Ziebell, leaving the Blues with only two on the bench.

Ziebell can also expect match review panel scrutiny for that incident during a rugged first half.

With Carlton midfielder Marc Murphy back for his first match in nearly three months, the Blues started promisingly and led by 12 points at one stage in the first term.

But Petrie's rampage came among seven unanswered goals by the Kangaroos through the first and second terms.

Leading by 29 points at halftime, North made the game safe with a seven-goal third quarter - the last six unanswered.

Kangaroos forward Lachie Hansen booted four goals for the match, while Lindsay Thomas and Kieran Harper finished with three each.

While North coach Brad Scott was understandably thrilled with his side's brilliant performance, Carlton coach Brett Ratten said the Blues didn't defend well enough.

"It was their ability to score at will and our inability to use the footy well enough ... our skill level was way below par," Ratten said.