Lions comeback stuns the Crows

Lions comeback stuns the Crows
By Eurosport

18/08/2012 at 23:47Updated 18/08/2012 at 23:49

The Brisbane Lions overcame an early 38-point deficit to upset the Adelaide Crows by 10 points in an AFL thriller at the Gabba.

Contract talks may not have officially begun with Kurt Tippett but the Lions still pitched a compelling case to the star Adelaide forward on Saturday night.

Tippett's future was the hot topic ahead of the AFL clash after the Crows match-winner's negotiations with Adelaide stalled.

Brisbane must look like a tempting option for the Gold Coast-bred Tippett after the Lions roared in front of a crowd of 18,979 to spark a boilover.

They bounced back from a 38-point deficit at the first break to run out 13.17 (95) to 12.13 (85) victors.

Adelaide's minor premiership hopes copped a hit despite suffering only their second loss in eight games.

The Lions hit the lead for the first time with just four minutes left in the third term when ruckman Ben Hudson made the most of a dubious 50m penalty slapped on Taylor Walker and kicked truly.

The stage was set for a thriller when Adelaide's Ian Callinan (four goals) cut the lead to just four points with 90 seconds left after a shocking Tom Rockliff turnover.

But Lions vice-captain Rockliff quickly redeemed himself, kicking his only goal at the death to ice Brisbane's second win in seven games.

Tippett looked like a player in his first game since July 21 due to three head knocks in five weeks, finishing with just seven touches and one behind in a rusty display.

He met with Crows officials and management in Brisbane on Friday night but it remains to be seen where the key forward plays next year.

Brisbane did their best to interest Tippett with a fine display after battling back from a first-term shocker.

A sixth defeat in seven games appeared on the cards for the lowly Lions after the Crows flew to a 6.5 (41) to 0.3 (3) lead by the first break, leading the inside 50s 20-9.

Long suffering fans had to wait until the sixth minute of the second term before celebrating Brisbane's first goal.

But they strung together a five-goal second term with Rohan Bewick bagging a double as Adelaide held onto a 7.8 (50) to 5.9 (39) halftime lead.

Brisbane continued to surge and ensured a tense finish when they led 10.15 (75) to 10.9 (69) at the final break.

North Melbourne recovered from an early four-goal deficit to beat Collingwood by 30 points for their ninth win in ten AFL games.

North Melbourne's potent tall forwards showed Collingwood what they are currently missing as the Kangaroos' late-season AFL momentum continued to build impressively at Etihad Stadium..

Despite the Magpies kicking the first four goals, the Kangaroos were in front by quarter time and controlled the game from there to win 13.13 (91) to 8.13 (61).

It was North's ninth win in 10 matches, continuing their remarkable turnaround since being whipped by 115 points by Hawthorn in Launceston in round 10.

Drew Petrie, Robbie Tarrant and Lindsay Thomas kicked three goals each, while Lachie Hansen chimed in with two.

While tall forwards Tarrant, Petrie and Hansen gave the Magpies' defence headaches, the mediocre form of Collingwood forwards Travis Cloke and Chris Dawes continued.

Neither kicked a goal and Cloke, the target of long-term $1 million-per-season offers from rival clubs, did not take a mark until the third quarter.

It meant the Magpies had to rely on their little men to score, with midfielder Dayne Beams (two goals) their only multiple goal-kicker, adding to his hard work around the packs and 38 disposals to be clearly his side's best.

North had lost their previous four encounters with Collingwood by an average of 80 points and Saturday night's contest seemed headed the same way when the Magpies posted four majors in the first 12 minutes.

They included sensational snaps from Beams and Alan Didak and a slick piece of crumbing work from Alex Fasolo.

But the Kangaroos showed their new-found belief, working their way on top in general play.

Ruckman Todd Goldstein had a superb night, dominating the hit-outs as well as working hard at ground level and setting up several scoring chances.

Midfielders Ben Cunnington, veteran Brent Harvey, captain Andrew Swallow and Sam Gibson also had big nights.

By quarter time, Tarrant, Petrie, Hansen and Thomas each had a goal and the Kangaroos were ahead.

The Roos dominated the second term to stretch their lead to 22 points, with fierce tackling to keep the ball in attack a highlight, and they were 27 clear by the last change, with the Magpies never threatening.

Collingwood also lost skipper Nick Maxwell to injury, subbed off before the last quarter.

Their defeat puts them under pressure to hold on to their top four berth and finals double chance.