D'Arcy and Monk extend self-imposed Twitter ban
Swimmers Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk have banned themselves from social media before and during the Olympic Games.
The pair fronted the media in Brisbane on Monday after meeting with Swimming Australia officials over the photo of them posing with firearms at a US gun shop that was posted on Facebook.
Monk spoke first and said he accepted the decision by the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) to send the pair home immediately after they complete their racing at the London Games.
D'Arcy made a brief statement which lasted about a minute and didn't answer questions.
"Both Kenrick and I understand the sanctions that have been put on us from the AOC," D'Arcy said.
"We've had some really serious discussions with Swimming Australia today and as per those discussions I've decided not to engage in social media in the period leading into the Games.
"I think at this stage it (social media) will just serve as a distraction and I think it's really important in these last seven weeks to focus on your swimming and what you're doing in the pool.
"Because at the end of the day I'll be coming up again some of the greatest swimmers in the world, especially Michael Phelps, and if you're not on your game you don't stand a chance against those guys."
Monk said he explained to the officials that their posing with firearms at the shooting range had been intended just as a bit of "bonding" and "fun", just as it was when SA took swimmers to a shooting range in 2007.
"They (SA) totally agreed with us that it was a bit of fun and that kind of stuff," Monk said.
"It was just a bit of fun to us and it went up (on Facebook) like that and as soon as we found out some people got a bit upset about it we took it straight off.
"To us it was just a bit of fun and team bonding with the boys."