Doherty on course for Shanghai
Ken Doherty kicked off his campaign to qualify for the Shanghai Masters with a narrow victory over Thepchaiya Un-Nooh in Sheffield.
The former world number two - now ranked 30th - edged his Thai opponent 5-4 in the third round to keep alive his hopes of a place at September's tournament in China.
Fellow veteran Steve Davis was also on the winning trail on the third day of action at the World Snooker Academy, the 54-year-old beating Alfie Burden 5-1.
Doherty next plays Marcus Campbell while Davis will meet Andrew Higginson on Friday with a place on the plane to China the prize.
Mark Davis, Barry Hawkins and Peter Ebdon are among those entering the fray at the fourth round stage.
Round three results:
33) Mike Dunn 0-5 Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon
34) Nigel Bond 5-1 Scott Donaldson
35) Matthew Selt 4-5 Aditya Mehta
36) Anthony McGill 5-4 Andy Hicks
37) Jimmy White 5-1 Michael White
38) Jamie Burnett 5-4 Ian Burns
39) Robert Milkins 5-4 Liam Highfield
40) Xiao Guodong 2-5 David Grace
41) Gerard Greene 2-5 David Gilbert
42) Steve Davis 5-1 Alfie Burden
43) Ben Woollaston 3-5 Barry Pinches
44) Liang Wenbo 4-5 Rod Lawler
45) Ken Doherty 5-4 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
46) Jack Lisowski 1-5 Jimmy Robertson
47) Rory McLeod 4-5 Mark Joyce
48) Dave Harold 5-3 Cao Yupeng