Kral tops GP2 practice
Josef Kral set the fastest time in free practice ahead of qualifying for round 17 of the GP2 Series at the Hungaroring.
Addax racer Kral, who has failed to score a point all season with last year's teams' championship-winner, repeated his feat of setting fastest time in practice from Barcelona back in May. His 1m29.573s was 0.159 seconds faster than Racing Engineering's Fabio Leimer, and both of these times were set just after the halfway point of the session.
James Calado, who was the pacesetter until then, was third fastest for Lotus, just over a quarter of a second down on Kral's time. Jolyon Palmer set a last-gasp flyer to leap to fourth in his iSport-run machine.
Caterham's Giedo van der Garde was fifth-fastest, ahead of iSport's Marcus Ericsson. Championship contender Davide Valsecchi, whose early-season form domination has evaporated in recent races with just three point-scoring finishes in the last seven events, was seventh quickest for DAMS.
Victor Guerin was a surprise eighth-fastest for Ocean, but his running was disrupted when his head-protection wrap-around appeared to fall off his car. Recent form men Esteban Gutierrez (Lotus) and Johnny Cecotto Jr (Addax) were ninth and 11th respectively.
Points leader Luiz Razia was only 12th fastest in his Arden machine.
1. Josef Kral Barwa Addax Team 1:29.573 /15
2. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1:29.732 /11
3. James Calado Lotus GP 1:29.837 /16
4. Jolyon Palmer iSport International 1:29.916/ 12
5. Giedo van der Garde Caterham Racing 1:29.943 /13
6. Marcus Ericsson iSport International 1:29.961 /13
7. Davide Valsecchi DAMS 1:30.053 /16
8. Victor Guerin Ocean Racing Technology 1:30.093 /14
9. Esteban Gutiérrez Lotus GP 1:30.131 /15
10. Stéphane Richelmi Trident Racing 1:30.226 /16
11. Johnny Cecotto Barwa Addax Team 1:30.252/ 13
12. Luiz Razia Arden International 1:30.367 /15
13. Felipe Nasr DAMS 1:30.373 /16
14. Max Chilton Carlin 1:30.487/ 13
15. Nigel Melker Ocean Racing Technology 1:30.505/ 15
16. Nathanaël Berthon Racing Engineering 1:30.538 /13
17. Fabio Onidi Scuderia Coloni 1:30.555 /16
18. Rio Haryanto Carlin 1:30.581 /13
19 Rodolfo Gonzalez Caterham Racing 1:30.683 /15
20. Stefano Coletti Scuderia Coloni 1:30.744 /15
21. Sergio Canamasas Venezuela GP Lazarus 1:30.813 /14
22. Simon Trummer Arden International 1:30.964/ 15
23. Daniel De Jong Rapax 1:31.192 /17
24. Julian Leal Trident Racing 1:31.707 /15
25. Ricardo Teixeira Rapax 1:32.211/ 16
26. Giancarlo Serenelli Venezuela GP Lazarus 1:34.204/ 11