Boxing

Klitschko stunned by Chisora reprieve

Wladimir Klitschko has taken another dig at Dereck Chisora, saying he ‘cannot understand’ the BBBC’s decision to restore his boxing licence after just one year.

 
Klitschko stunned by Chisora reprieve - BoxingImago
 

After his defeat to Vitali Klitchsko in February 2012, Chisora brawled with British rival David Haye in a post-fight press conference, scenes that were widely condemned.

Chisora had spat in the face of Wladimir - who was in Vitali's corner - during the WBC heavyweight title fight, having previously slapped Vitali at the weigh-in. Following his scrap with Haye, the Zimbabwe-born slugger had his licence revoked by the British Boxing Board of Control.

Only a few months later they settled their differences in the ring under the auspices of the Luxembourg Boxing Association, but Chisora was not able to contest any major fights until the BBBC was satisfied he had completed a rehabilitation programme.

In March 2013 – one year after he was initially stripped of his licence – Chisora was given the go-ahead to box again, but Vitali’s brother Wladimir believes it has come far too soon.

“I respect the decision made by the BBBC but I don’t understand it,” Wladimir, 37, told Eurosport in an exclusive interview.

“Dereck Chisora damaged the sport of boxing with his behaviour. He is definitely not a good example to the youth.”

When asked if he would fight Chisora, Wladimir insisted he had no reason to compete against someone who insulted him and his family, and whose sporting stock has fallen dramatically in the meantime.

But he left it open, provided Chisora proves he is a reformed character in and out of the ring.

“Dereck Chisora slapped Vitali in the face and spat on me in the boxing ring. There is no excuse for such behaviour.

“Besides that he also lost three from his last four fights. Why should I box against him right now?

“But if he’s in therapeutic treatment – as has been said – and if he wins some fights… But as you can see, there are a lot of ifs.”

Wladimir – who holds the WBC, IBF, WBO and IBO titles – faces unbeaten German-Italian Francesco Pianeta in Mannheim, Germany, on May 4.

Pianeta indulged in the usual pre-fight trash-talk, saying he would “bust Wladimir’s ass”, but the Ukrainian star was not tempted to respond, saying he had great respect for a man who survived testicular cancer in 2010.

“Before the fight against Tony Thompson, Francesco was my sparring partner,” Wladimir added.

“It hasn’t been easy to box against him. While we were sparring I noticed that Francesco is young and hungry for success.

“He fought cancer and he looked death in the face. So he is not scared of anything. I am far from underestimating him.”

 - Eurosport
 
 
 
Do not miss
Follow Eurosport.com
 
On Facebook
 
On Twitter
 
On Mobile
EurosportCopyright 2014
Eurosport.com is available in other languages